[tlug] Re: locales

David Eduardo Gomez "Noguera a.k.a. dabicho" <davidgn@example.com> writes:

[...]

>> On top of that the Bitstream Cyberbit font looks unbearably ugly.
>>
>> MS Arial Unicode looks reasonably good, but same as with the Bitstream
>> Cyberbit there is a problem with the spacing in the entry widget of
>> Google. I don't know why.
>>
>> The Unicode bitmap fonts 'efont-unicode' and 'gnu-unifont' load quite
>> fast and produce quite good results.
>
> Its very weird. Cyberbit in Nautilus looks just great.
> why would that be?

Are you sure that Bitstream Cyberbit is really used?

It can't look different in Nautilus than in other applications.

The Bitstream Cyberbit is a rather low quality font.  Nautilus can't
change that either. Bitstream Cyberbit looks 'OK' if used at printing
resolutions with CJK-LaTeX, but at typical screen resolutions it is
terrible. Probably it is very badly hinted or not hinted at all.

> I havent been able to work properly wit evolution though, if i set LC_CTYPE=ja_*.*, no matter what encoding a mail has,
> it always mixes it with japanese when no pure ascii chars. If i have any
> other encoding, i cant read japanese...
>
> also, do you know of any way i can input unicode in two characters sets
> at the "same time"? i.e. write a mail with japanese and spanish mixed.

You can use spanish keyboard layout and kinput2 for Japanese.

--
Mike Fabian   <mfabian@example.com>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。