Re: Apache fails to start under RH7.1

>From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>
>
>Apache can be run from [x]inetd, but it is designed to run as a
>standalone server.  It is almost surely set up as a standalone by the
>package manager's configuration, so adding it to [x]inetd will confuse
>things badly.

Thanks for the info! Removed the xinetd httpd file I had created.

>You should be seeing an entry for the httpd service from netstat, but
>it should be provided by the httpd, not by [x]inetd, in the standalone
>case.

I have both an https and http entry. Is this kosher?

[root@example.com xinetd.d]# netstat -l https | grep http
tcp        0      0 *:http                  *:*                     LISTEN
    tcp        0      0 *:https                 *:*
LISTEN      [root@example.com xinetd.d]# netstat -l | more

>You removed the host name from where?

Actually I don't know. I removed it from the GUI tool RH7.1 provides for
network configuration. But the first time I did that it didn't really do
anything. Then I removed the HOSTNAME line from /etc/sysconfig/network but
since it was "HOSTNAME=" I figured it wasn't doing much anyhow.

>In /etc/hosts, the 127.0.0.1 "loopback" entry should
>_never_ be given the host name, always localhost.

  There may be a file
>/etc/hostname which has the host name in it.  /etc/mailname may also
>exist, but it will have a fully-qualified domain name in it.
>
>Try "fgrep $HOSTNAME /etc/* /etc/sysconfig/*".  (You may have to
>replace $HOSTNAME with the literal name if HOSTNAME isn't defined in
>your environment.  That should catch most of the likely places.

Thanks. Unfortunately that came up empty.

But if I fgrep recursively starting from / I get these matches.
Unfortunately looks like stuff that in the kernel

/proc/sys/kernel/hostname:devtwo.bogusdomain.com
/proc/net/unix:c316ba80: 00000002 00000000 00010000 0001 01  1684
/tmp/.sawfish-root/devtwo.bogusdomain.com:0.0
Binary file /proc/kcore matches

Does this mean that my hostname is hardocded into the kernel and can not be
erased simply by removing the hostname line from /etc/hosts or
/etc/sysconfig/network?

Jc