Re:Netscape and Japanese

on 14:02 2001/07/16 +0900, A.Sajjad Zaidi wrote
>A colleague of mine has finally decided to switch to W2K from Linux. One
>reason was that he needed Word, but the bigger problem was that he
>wanted Japanese support in Netscape, but it keeps crashing every 15
>minutes.
>
>His system is RH 7.1 with Japanese support, but English by default. He
>runs Netscape after setting LANG to Japanese. I also tried upgrading his
>Netscape to 4.77 which made it crash even more often.

FWIW, I find that running Konqueror, (English RH 7.1 with Japanese support)
views Japanese pages without problem and doesn't crash ( K6 450, 56 Megs of
RAM).  I'm running it in icewm which is probably less resource intensive
than KDE or Gnome.  Encoding is set to Auto.

The only drawback is that, even with kinput2 running, I can't input
Japanese in, for example, a search engine in Konqueror.  (Never fired up
Netscape on that box, so don't know if I could do it there either, though. :) )

Hope this is of some use
Scott Robbins