Re: Debian and Japanese from a Debian Developer

    Ben> I would recommend installing Debian 2.2 (potato) with a very
    Ben> minimal set of packages, edit your /etc/apt/sources.list to
    Ben> point to unstable, and run apt-get update; apt-get
    Ben> dist-upgrade .

    Stephen> Don't.  You'll be sorry.  Use "testing" or "frozen",
    Stephen> whatever it's called nowadays (or "woody", which is the
    Stephen> fixed tag).

KDE is not exactly usable in testing or frozen, unfortunately. Especially
for non-x86 architectures, testing is pretty much a joke these days, in my
humble opinion.  Unstable is much more useful, if you are lucky enough to
get it on a good day. :)

    Stephen> Debian unstable is not particularly unstable most of the
    Stephen> time.  But it's often enough that you don't want to deal
    Stephen> with it until your system is running and you understand
    Stephen> it pretty well, and you understand the Debian package
    Stephen> management system.

Yes, that's true. I just wish stable were usable with Japanese input,
but it's still not there. Frozen and testing are not a lot better,
but are a step in the right direcction.

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters H and O and the number 0.
"A squib is a firecracker."