Re: RH 6.2 install causes screen to explode

Peter Evans wrote:

> Jonathan Q:
>
> > You need to install probably all of your X packages.
> > It looks like you probably chose not to install X
> > during the install procedure.
>
> Right, I chose not to (I think).  Sorry, but:
>
> -- I thought that this is what people were advising me to do (assuming
> that I used RH 6.2 rather than RH 7.1, Slackware, etc.), and

By that they meant not to run the configuration of X while installing. If
you choose to install the 'X Window' package, the installer will install
all the necessary files. Installation is not the problem in your case, but
configuring X is.

> -- I don't know the difference between (a) that which is within
> XFree86-XF86Setup-3.3.6-20j1.i386.rpm, and (b) X in general. (Did I
> mention that I was a total ignoramus?)

Thats just one of all the rpms you need to install X and wont be of use on
its own.

> So what should I do?
>
> rpm -i [anythingstartingwithX].rpm
>
> maybe?  No, that won't work: Xconfigurator complains that XFree86,
> libgdk and libgtk are missing, and I haven't a clue where I can find
> libg*.

You can either do the install again with 'text expert' and choose to
install the X package or try installing all the packages necessary with rpm
-i X.....rpm

But instead of all this hassle, it might be easier to just install the
latest X from a tar file (www.xfree86.org) which has a better chance of
supporting your chipset.