Q.

Hello, it was good to put some faces to email addresses last night in
the Fiddler, thanks for introducing me to another good English pub.

I've had Linux installed on my laptop for over a year and although it
works after a fashion, I am now trying to get everything on it to work
including sound and USB. I've been getting no where today trying to get
a number of things working. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

1. I'm trying to install a number of packages but the 'configure' script
fails 'cos gcc fails 'cos 'ld' can't find 'crt1.o'. Now gcc exist in my
/bin and 'crt1.o' exists in /usr/bin/dd. What doesn't exist is the
'/etc/ld.conf' file. I have an '/etc/ld.os.conf' file in which I
included the path for 'ctr1.o' but 'configure' still failed. I then
tried changing the environment variable 'export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/bin/dd' but 'configure did not
work. I tried rebooting with these settings but still nothing. I then
created 'ld.conf' with the new path but still nothing.  Any ideas?

2. Over the past year I've tried all sorts of things to get my soundcard
to work. Initial clues are during boot up when the boot script informs
me that the soundcard check FAILED because "Sound device or resource
busy". Today as I was investigating the USB ports, I noticed Linux has
assigned IRQ 5 to both the USB port and the soundcard. Is this
acceptable or is it the root of my problems?

3. Ever since I installed Linux (about five times now) I've noticed that
on setup the following message is flashed up: "Partition sector #7373898
(2008MB) and sector #6345738 (2039MB) are overlapping". I have a dual
boot system with about 8 partitions on my hard drive. I have never been
able to get rid of this overlapping problem. What's up?

Can anyone bring relief to a wary man?

Cheers,    Dan
begin:vcard
n:Lindfield;Dan
tel;cell:+81 90 8558 5697
tel;fax:+81 3 5304 7560
tel;work:+81 3 3370 3527
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Rolls Royce International Ltd;Representative - Japan
version:2.1
email;internet:dan.lindfield@example.com
adr;quoted-printable:;;Richmonde Palace 101=0D=0AYoyogi 4-42-11;Shibuya-Ku;Tokyo;151-0053;Japan
fn:Dan Lindfield
end:vcard