Re: Q.

Dan Lindfield wrote:

> What doesn't exist is the
> '/etc/ld.conf' file. I have an '/etc/ld.os.conf' file in which I
> included the path for 'ctr1.o' but 'configure' still failed.

What's ld.conf ?
ld.so.conf is supposed to contain the paths to shared libraries. If you
update this, make sure to run `ldconfig` afterwards. Check out its manpage
for more.

> I then
> tried changing the environment variable 'export
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/bin/dd' but 'configure did not
> work.

When you say stuff like `configure did not work` then please include the
error messages too (namely the end of config.log)

> 2. Over the past year I've tried all sorts of things to get my soundcard
> to work. Initial clues are during boot up when the boot script informs
> me that the soundcard check FAILED because "Sound device or resource
> busy".

Either you're trying to load the wrong module(s) or the irq/io parameters
are not correct.
And also the boot script usually doesn't say much about why the
initialization failed, so you should look at the relevant logs (dmesg,
/var/log/..)
You should tell at least what type of soundcard you have and what modules
you're trying to load. In case someone has similar hardware you could get
more hints about getting it to work.

> Today as I was investigating the USB ports, I noticed Linux has
> assigned IRQ 5 to both the USB port and the soundcard. Is this
> acceptable or is it the root of my problems?

Modern systems should be able to handle this properly. But if you can and
have another unallocated irq you could try moving a device.

--
B0Ti.