Re: Web forms and Japanese

> I am working on some research project in one of my classes,
> and we made an anketo that I want to put on the web. Should
> I be specifying any encoding at the top of my HTML? The page
> is in ISO-2022...

  What Jim said...

> The main question, however, is: can PHP deal with Japanese?
> Right now, when I enter some Japanese text in the web form
> and hit submit, my test PHP script just prints some garbage
> that is not viewable under *ANY* encoding in Mozilla.

  PHP and Japanese work wonderfully together.  You will need to download
mbregex and jstring which are modules that help you convert JIS <-> EUC
<-> SJIS (among other things).  Before inserting any data make sure to
convert the submitted data to whatever encoding mySQL supports (EUC) and
back again when displaying data.
  You can find the php4 patches here:

ftp://night.fminn.nagano.nagano.jp/php4/

  The PHP folks are saying they might be incorporated into the
distribution from v4.0.6 (currently v4.0.5).

Pax,

	Alexander Reeder