Web forms and Japanese

I am working on some research project in one of my classes,
and we made an anketo that I want to put on the web. Should
I be specifying any encoding at the top of my HTML? The page
is in ISO-2022...

The main question, however, is: can PHP deal with Japanese?
Right now, when I enter some Japanese text in the web form
and hit submit, my test PHP script just prints some garbage
that is not viewable under *ANY* encoding in Mozilla.

It seems that the older versions of PHP had to be patched to
handle Japanese, but I could not find much info on 4.0.x and
Japanese.

Does anybody know the answer to this riddle? Should I be
using PHP to parse this stuff anyway? If not, does anybody
have a better solution?

RTFMs and flames welcome, as long as they have a link to
something good... ;)

Thanks.

"No segfault, no problem."

Josh Glover