From: jwb@example.com [mailto:jwb@example.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 6:03 PM
To: tlug@example.com
Subject: Re: Anti-Reds at Red Hat?

>> From: Jonathan Q <jq@example.com>
>> Dennis McMurchy (denismcm@example.com) wrote:
>>
>> > Maybe there's a special PRC version of RedHat?  ....
>>
>> 1) TurboLinux has been in China for a couple years or so
>>    and is fairly well-entrenched, I would suppose;
>>
>> 2) There is a native Chinese distro, Red Flag Linux, produced
>>    with the blessings (and, I believe, financial assistance)
>>    of the Chinese government.
>>
>> Looking at those, it may be the case that Red Hat just
>> thinks it isn't worth their while to pour time and money
>> into Chinese support in their distro at this time, especially
>> when they'd probably sell roughly one legit boxed set

This exchange set me thinking about what it takes to assemble a Chinese
distro. Do TurboLinux or Red Flag attempt to restrict their
catalogue/message files? Presumably they are open source as much as
anything else.

I would hope that eventually whether a packager like RH had a "Chinese
version" was not really the issue of what to put in the CDs, as they
should all be there, but what language to have a manual in, whether to

--
Jim Breen  [jwb@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Visiting Professor, Institute for the Study of Languages and Cultures of

Next Technical Meeting:  Sat, May 12 13:30-
Next Nomikai Meeting:    Fri, June (TBA) 19:30- Tengu Tokyo Eki Mae