From: Jonathan Q [mailto:jq@example.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 6:19 PM
To: tlug@example.com
Subject: Re: Anti-Reds at Red Hat?

Scott Stone (SStone@example.com) wrote:

> well, TL being "entrenched" in Japan didn't stop Redhat from making
> Redhat-jp...

Yeah, but they thought they could sell it in Japan anyway, and
hopefully make some profit.  I'm suggesting that they may
think they can't in China, for reasons of both entrenched
competitors and widespread piracy (Linux is, of course,
free to copy, but you'd probably see knock-off Red Hat boxed sets
hitting the shelves not long after the real product did; maybe
even before).

> It could just have been an oversight (not too likely), or maybe they
wanted
> to i18n the installer and the mandarin stuff wouldn't fit?

Maybe, but they have so many languages in it already...

> ... the native Chinese one is called RED FLAG Linux?!  oh how delicious...

Yeah.  There's a company in Hanoi doing a Vietnamese one based on it,
too.

Jonathan

Next Technical Meeting:  Sat, May 12 13:30-
Next Nomikai Meeting:    Fri, June (TBA) 19:30- Tengu Tokyo Eki Mae