gcc upgrade

Hi all,

just compiled and installed gcc-2.95.2, under /usr/local. It seems to
work.

Now, I have egcs-1.1.2-30 and egcs-c++-1.1.2-30 rpm packages as well
as dynamic C++ libraries (which don't belong to any package) already
installed. It's a RH 6.2 system.

I wonder if I would break anything now by unistalling the two egcs
packages? Is it enough to have /usr/local/bin in the PATH and
/usr/local/lib in ld path to switch compilers?

I know that the best way to find out is to try, but here I feel that
to ask is better :)

Thanks in advance,
Viktor