Re: gcc upgrade

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Viktor Pavlenko wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> just compiled and installed gcc-2.95.2, under /usr/local. It seems to
> work.
>
> Now, I have egcs-1.1.2-30 and egcs-c++-1.1.2-30 rpm packages as well
> as dynamic C++ libraries (which don't belong to any package) already
> installed. It's a RH 6.2 system.
>
> I wonder if I would break anything now by unistalling the two egcs
> packages? Is it enough to have /usr/local/bin in the PATH and
> /usr/local/lib in ld path to switch compilers?
>
> I know that the best way to find out is to try, but here I feel that
> to ask is better :)

theoretically the RPMs shouldn't own anything in /usr/local - check with
"rpm -ql egcs | grep local".  As long as they don't, you can safely remove
them without affecting the compiler that you installed under /usr/local.

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Cisco Certified Network Associate, Sun Solaris Certified Systems Administrator
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company