Re: Japanese fonts & input

> Subject: gtk 1.2.8 and Japanese fonts
> Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 11:27:12 +0900
> From: Phil Cummins <cummins@example.com>

> But the character widths seem to
> be calculated incorrectly somewhere. Many of the labels for
> buttons and menus get truncated, for example. (although in
> text windows everthing is fine). Does anyone have any idea how
> to fix this problem? Thanks.

Try to modify the fonts in /etc/gtkrc.ja
here is mine:
[boti@example.com Java]$ cat /etc/gtk/gtkrc.ja
style "gtk-default-ja" {
       fontset = "-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1,\
                  -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-*-*-*-*-*-jisx0208.1983-0"
}
class "GtkWidget" style "gtk-default-ja"

> Subject: Re: Japanese Input
> Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 20:18:39 +0900
> From: Venkatesh Raghavan <raghavan@example.com>

> Thanks for the tip. I have somewhat managed to
> get kinput working on Mandrake 7.1 without
> downgrading. Ctrl+\ key returns me back to
> English mode now. May be my default keybyindings
> are a litte messed up.

Actually yesterday I found out what was causing the trouble. Eventhough I downgraded to
wnn4 of mdk7.0 at one point the kinput2 wouldn't return me to normal input mode again, and
the reason for this was that I had NumLock on.
I assigned the shift-kanji key to the kinput2 conversion key instead of shift-space via
.Xdefaults.
[boti@example.com boti]$ cat .Xdefaults
*inputMethod: kinput2
*xlcConversionStartKey: Shift<Key>Kanji
*conversionStartKeys:  Shift<Key>Kanji
Kinput2*useOverrideShellForMode: true

What I don't get is why doesn't kinput2 return me to normal input mode when I have NumLock
on??? Weird.

>  Any ideas how to get kinput2 to start
> automatically.

Put a kinput2 startup script into /etc/X11/xinit.d/
(From MDK 7.1.  7.0 doesn't have this)
[boti@example.com boti]$ cat /etc/X11/xinit.d/kinput2
/usr/X11R6/bin/kinput2

>> Put this line in your .xinitrc and/or .xsession.
>Putting the command in .xinitrc causes my Xserver to crash.
Is it a real crash or just an exit?
I guess the reason is that you didn't have an .xinitrc before. If you put "kinput2 -wnn
-jerver localhost &" and nothing else into it would make X exit immediately (cause of &),
because there is no window manager started up, etc.
If you wish to use .xinitrc, then put the appropriate commands for starting your window
manager into it as well.
But the xinit.d script should be a cleaner way to do it, unless you don't want a kinput2
for your other users.

Hope this helps,
B0Ti.