Re: domain name

Jim Tittsler (jwt-tlug@example.com) wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 03:58:17AM -0600, halimaw@example.com wrote:
> >       I've got a problem I dont know if ti's possible or not but here
> > goes. I own www.k0n.org and I my my computer to do its webserver my
> > connection to the net is modem connection

> Yes, there are several companies that will provide you with
> "dynamic DNS" services.  You run a client program when you

Another question here is *why* you would want to do this.
So, you have a modem connection.  I have 128K ISDN at home.
If I access your web server, how much bandwidth does that
leave for anyone else.

It gets better - I have fast switched Ethernet to my desk at work.
What happens if me and a few other people with fast connections are
surfing your site?  Yup, your bandwidth is hammered.

Now, if your site is known only to your friends and they also
have low speed connections, it's probably not too much of a worry.

A final caveat - check your ISP's terms of service.  It is very
common for ISPs to prohibit the operation of servers on dialup
connections.

Jonathan Byrne <j-byrne@example.com>               Engineering Division
Exodus Communications K.K.                          http://www.exodus.co.jp/
Tel:  +81 3-5334-1700   Fax: +81 3-5334-1702        Direct: +81 3-5334-1756