RE: tlug: Apache "Surprise Feed"

>Shawn> This sounds more like what I had in mind. I don't
>know what a 'nice 19' is though.. Is that in TFM?
>
>Yeah, GNU shellutils.  Basically it lowers the process priority,
>so it gets fewer time slices.  Less load on _your_ box, slower
>access on _his_.  A win-win, don't you think?

This morning I did a tail -f /var/log/httpd/access_log while loading up the other guy's page. Then I kicked myself.

He's got my BBS as the bottom frame, so his frameset just tells MY browser to get the BBS page. That means that the accesses are not coming from his site, but from the person browsing his site.

As such I have no way of telling whether the accesses are coming from - without using ENV variables, as someone pointed out. I didn't catch on to that right away - wasn't thinking straight.

Looks like using ENV variables might be the way to go then - but for the meantime, I just pointed it out to others on the board and will see what response that generates. I wasn't anticipating tweaking the actual bbs script, assumed I could just do it with a modification of httpd.conf. duh

Thanks for the feedback everyone,

shawn

Shawn Gray
English/Japanese Translator
& Linux/Perl Gearhead
shawn@example.com

Graycastle Intercultural Communications | http://www.graycastle.com
The Mecca Online MultiCultural Forum http://www.graycastle.com/mecca/

Next Meeting (w/ YLUG): June 16 (Fri) 19:00 Mizonoguchi Marui Family 12F
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30 Topic: TBA