Re: tlug: Re: TLUG List Administrator position and duties turned over to JonathanByrne today.

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>  Moved to "main", where this kind of talk belongs.
>
>  If you haven't seen the rest of the thread, you might want to take a
>  gander at the tlug-admin archives.

Wish the admin archive was up to date. There is nothing there
after Feb...

>  <ASIDE>
>      jb> software.  TeX is a very technically solid solution, but until
>      jb> it gets something like FrameMaker wrapped around it, it will
>      jb> always remain the tool of a select few.

So what? Something that is best suited for a select few will remain so.
We don't have to make anything and everything sellable at the village
fair. Do we have to make every TDH format his/her letter using tex? We
definitely need an open standard to replace ms-word, but I dont think
tex fits that need.

Isn't gcc a "tool of a select few"? Probably an IDE interface makes it
more marketable --- a GUI wrapper could make it appealing even to those
who dont know what to do with a compiler. But that will not make this
world a better place to live, except possibly for the fellow who is
marketing it. While such businesses with little creative content may
still be financilly viable in the short run, does that fit anyone's
dream of the future? One can be at best indifferent (but shouldn't we be
critical?) of such FSBs, or any such busines, for that matter..  I
think the society should have a lofty dream to correctly guide its
entrepreneurs and technologists --- not thru regulations but thru
expectations that are hard to ignore.

my rei-ten-rei-ni..

Selva

Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD