tlug: help, my linux box is possessed...

OK, my stupid P2-400 here just about a week and a half ago just started
giving me crap for no reason.  Every few seconds, the thing will pause and
hang from 5-20 seconds.  VERY annoying.  No changes occurred to spark
this... the only thing shown in the system logs are somewhat frequent
inabilities to communicate with the NFS server (a SPARC-5 running SunOS
4), upon which the home dirs are mounted.  I've tried swapping out the
NIC, no luck there.... also tried stopping all services, etc, etc, that
doesn't help either.  It just suddenly started doing this from one day to
the next and I have no idea what the heck is going on.  It's getting
worse, too.

any ideas?

system:

P2-400
128MB RAM
3Com 3c905B-TX running at 100MBit/FDX
Linux 2.2.14

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone@example.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD