Mailing List Archive
Support open source code!
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: tlug: Thread Programming. I apologize in advance if this is off-topic !!!
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: tlug: Thread Programming. I apologize in advance if this is off-topic !!!
- From: Fredric Fredricson <Fredric.Fredriksson@example.com>
- Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 12:42:58 +0100
- Content-Type: multipart/mixed;boundary="------------2506CCBF123225BBFBEE12B2"
- Organization: MYDATA automation
- References: <38C714C4.2DC65C4B@example.com>
- Reply-To: email@example.com
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
my 0.02$ advice: If you are developing in Linux and you want to make some kind of server application I advice you to consider multi-process in favor of threads. I can see three major drawbacks for threads: * A failed thread crashes the whole process, that is the whole application. * Threads adds a lot of complexity to a C++ program since the thread support is built into the language like in Java. * It is difficult to debug and presents plenty of opportunity for mistakes. Threads have two major advantages: * Performance (in most OSes) * Fun! But if you use Linux the performance part is questionable. Windows does not like processes and multiple processes cause a lot of overhead. In Linux this is not really the case and most server applications I have seen (like Apache) uses multi-process. The fun part is very subjective and difficult to consider if you do this professionally. /Fredricbegin:vcard n:Fredricson;Fredric tel;fax:+46 8 475 55 01 tel;work:+46 8 475 55 21 x-mozilla-html:FALSE url:www.mydata.se org:MYDATA automation AB;Development adr:;;Adolfsbergsvägen 11;BROMMA;Stockholm;SE-168 66;Sweden version:2.1 email;internet:email@example.com title:Manager System Software R&D fn:Fredric Fredricson end:vcard
- Re: tlug: Thread Programming.
- From: Adrian Havill <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- tlug: Thread Programming. I apologize in advance if this is off-topic !!!
- From: Sanjay Agnani <email@example.com>
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: tlug: Thread Programming.
- Next by Date: Re: tlug: Thread Programming.
- Prev by thread: tlug: Thread Programming.
- Next by thread: Re: tlug: Thread Programming.
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links