Re: tlug: su vs. su -l

On Thu, Mar 09, 2000 at 12:53:22PM +0000, Darren Cook wrote:
> >>  useful (especially for the PATH).
> >>
> >Yeah, for getting the PATH set it is very convenient, but -l means make
> >the shell the login shell which means change the directory to the HOME
> >of the new user. Isn't that a pain when you have done compiled a new
>
> I see. Yes, most of the time that would probably be more annoying than
> having the wrong PATH.

on a related note, I believe su - <usr> will get you the same results as
su -l <usr> and is a bit easier to type... I always thought use - if you
want the environment since I often do when switching to root i use su -
quiet a bit.

Matt Doughty BOT BSC Japan
Next Technical Meeting: March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: "What's new in Perl 5.6"
Guest speaker: Simon Cozens (TLUG Perl guru)
Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.