Re: tlug: Omron external ISDN TA & RedHat 6.0 (again)

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Richard Hakim wrote:

>  Hi,
>

>  I have looked into my Omron problem some more.  Here are the symptoms:

I dont know anything about Omron TA, but I would suggest that you check
your serial port set-up.

>  - When my laptop running RH 6 boots, it identifies a "PS/2" mouse and
>    the only serial port it identifies is /dev/ttyS03.
>  - minicom setup automagically detects to use /dev/ttyS03.

I think you are referring to the boot time message showing ttyS03 and
not /dev/ttyS03. Unfortunately setserial uses slightly different
notations for the serial ports from the device names. If you see a
message

ttyS02 at 0x03e8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A

at boot time, for example, the corresponding device name will be
/dev/ttyS2 an dnot /dev/ttyS02.

But that doesn't necessarily mean that your serial port is correctly
setup. The boottime set up uses default I/O add and IRQ but the actual
I/O address or IRQ set on the hardware could be different. The values
reported by setserial also could be wrong. If you have a non-standard
IRQ for example, you need to set it using use setserial.

Check the BIOS messages or the Windows device panel for the IRQ and I/O
used by the serial port and compare with the values reported by
setserial. But that wont help if you have a PnP serial port. You may
have to choose non PnP OS option on the BIOS setup or use isapnptools.

>  - using statserial on /dev/ttyS{1-4}, only /dev/ttyS3 produces any output.
>    But it does look like /dev/ttyS3 is valid.  I don't know if this matters,

Yes, the device names corresponding to COM1 to COM4 are /dev/ttyS0 to
/dev/ttyS3.

>    but /dev/ttyS03 did *not* work
>  - Minicom, set for either /dev/ttyS3 or /dev/ttyS03 did not work at all.
>    It would sit there with "atz" on the screen and no response from the
>    TA.
>  - Typing various 'echo "<AT-command> >/dev/ttyS3" did nothing
>  - The lights on the TA showed only power connection.  When I boot using
>    Win 95, the "Pasokon" light flickers briefly during bootup and is on
>    when I am using the TA.  None of this happens in RH.
>

>  Anyone have any ideas?  Alternatively, does anyone either know where I can

Reading Serial HOWTO may help.