RE: tlug: tex/dvips to pdf: dekiru?

>But what you need to do is go into the TeX and dvips docs and find out
>how to use real scalable fonts in your TeX documents.  ps2pdf can't do
>anything about it unless you tell dvips to use the AMS Type 1 font
>instead of the original Metafont font by Knuth.

This is pretty simple nowadays.  If your TeX distribution is LaTeX
2e (anything in common circulation these days should be), I think
(it's been awhile, so don't assume I must be right here) that you just
need to have the Right Packages Installed and set, say, palatino.sty
as a style option in the LaTeX header.  The metric and filename info
will be processed into the DVI file, and DVIPS will scamper off and
grab the right font data in producing the PS file.

I'm sure that TeX distros must be set up to do all of this correctly
by now.  Fonts used to be a nightmare to tinker with, but LaTeX2e
standardization vastly improved font handling for users.

Good luck!

Next Technical Meeting: March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: "What's new in Perl 5.6"
Guest speaker: Simon Cozens (TLUG Perl guru)
Next Nomikai Meeting:   April 21 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae