Re: tlug: tex/dvips to pdf: dekiru?

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>  >>>>> "John" == John Seebach <jseebach@example.com> writes:
>
>      John> Stephen: I'm pretty sure that the acrobat.map file only
>      John> includes standard "postscript" fonts. In fact, it appears to
>      John> be pretty small subset of those fonts -- Courier, Helvetica,
>      John> Symbol, Times, and the ever-useful ZapfDingbats.
>
>  OK.  Ghostscript 5.10 is very likely quite buggy, especially from the
>  point of view of a recent Adobe Acrobat.  I wouldn't bet that the
>  person who wrote the comments about ps2pdf updated them for the very
>  rapidly changing state of the pdfwrite driver at that time.
>
>  Oops, that's true, but I just read Simon's post.  Since the TeX
>  documents specify Computer Modern, that's what you're going to
>  get---in bitmap form, rasterized by Metafont.  You might be able to
>  tweak that process to get something nicer.

Yes, CM fonts bitmapped at the printer resolution by dvips is the main
problem. So what is needed is to make latex default to Postscript fonts.
psnfss suite gives style files (times.sty etc) to do that, but the
quickest solution is to use the pslatex style
\usepackage{pslatex}
or use the command pslatex (a shell script that calls latex with pslatex
loaded) -- then no need to edit the existing latex document. It also
does a good job on condensing Courier or scaling Helvetica to reduce the
visual difference between these fonts.  I think teTeX distribution
includes pslatex.

Selva

Next Technical Meeting: March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: "What's new in Perl 5.6"
Guest speaker: Simon Cozens (TLUG Perl guru)
Next Nomikai Meeting:   April 21 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae