tlug: httpd on port 21

Hello all,

I have an apache server listening on port 21 (yes port 21!). This is a
temporary measure forced upon me by a change in the local network
security setup[*].

Is there any reason for this to be not advisable? Why I am asking this
is because netscape refuses to make an http connection on port 21 ---
"Sorr, access to the port number given has been disabled for sercurity
reasons..". Lynx and IE works fine, though. I dislike telling people to
use IE to access my url.  Would it be possible to configure netscape to
accept my site?  <http://sqdp-selva.trc-net.co.jp:21/>

Selva

[*]I used to run my server on port 3000 but all of a sudden our
netwrok folks have blocked all external access except for pre registered
services which fortunately include my ftp and telnet. Our netwok is
administered by some "internet kaisha" on a contract basis, and I have
no direct access to them. Have to go thru a local netwrok manager who is
pretty clueless on anything that has something to do with computers;)
It will take a while for me to get this sorted out; in the mean
time  thought I'll use port 21. By the way, mine is a pretty
primitive site mainly used for sharing research results with my
collaborators.

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD