Re: tlug: gtk and kinput2

On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 01:48:12AM +0900, Jonathan Q wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, John Seebach wrote:
>
> > Lo and behold, the gimp comes up in Japanese, with menus and everything.
> > Even the tip of the day is in nihongo. I'm impressed. Everything seems to
> > work perfectly.
>
> <SNIP>
>
> I can duplicate a few of these things with GIMP, but the version I have
> at home is 1.0.4, so my mileage may vary quite a bit from yours.  I
> think I have a newer GIMP at work, so I'll try that one and see what
> happens.  I couldn't make it hang my system or crash X, I didn get input
> failure (either mojibake or nothing at all).

> I have had no problems at all with Gjiten.  It works great.
Yeah, I suspect that the problem has something to do with GTK instead of
the GIMP and gjiten. The problem that I had with them was exactly the same,
namely that the kinput2 input widget thingy just starts blinking and locks
up.

> Some more info about your environment might be helpful: distro, versions
> of kinput2 and whatever kanji server(s) you're running, library
> versions (GTK, etc.), that sort of thing.

I should have put that in my last message, ne? Here it is:

distro: debian 2.uh..... It's kind of a frankenstein of stable 2.1 and a
lot of stuff from the unstable (now frozen) branch. I'd update the entire
thing, but I can't afford to pay NTT for downloading 200MB+ of stuff at 56K
(on a good day), and, besides, most things seem to work ok for now.

But, yes, I'm aware that doing things this way introduces a number of, uh,
unknown variables into the equation. Shiyouganai.

Here's the version numbers of stuff that would appear to be relevant.
Everything is from the Debian packages, most of it is pretty up-to-date.

kinput2 3.0
conversion server: Canna 3.5b2
libgtk 1.2.6
libglib 1.2.6
xlib6g 3.3.5
libc6 2.1.2

Hmmm. Looking through the packages I have installed, I'm not sure which
version of the X libraries kinput2 was compiled against, and if it's the
same I have installed (Debian has XFree 3.3.6 available for download).
Would this make a difference? I'm a little reluctant to download and
install a later version of the X stuff because NTT will extract a pound or
two of flesh, but if you think it would help, I'll give it a try. Or just
wait and gaman suru until Debian releases a new stable version so I can buy
a CD.

Anyway, thanks for any and all insight into this weirdness.

john
--
jseebach@example.com