Re: tlug: ppa

>try "depmod -a" first.
>
>" Depmod creates a "Makefile"-like dependency file, based on the symbols
it  finds
>       in  the  set  of  modules mentioned on the command line (or in a
default place).
>       This dependency file can later be used by modprobe  to
automatically  load  the
>       relevant module(s). "
>
>It probably won't solve your problem, because most distros have this in
one of the init scripts.

Yes, it did not solve the problem.

>The problem might be that you've upgraded the kernel sources and didn't do
a "make clean" before recompiling.

I did not knowingly upgrade the kernel, but when we installed a second
harddisc we had some problems with installing RedHat 6.1 (how does one
check the version? As far as I remember it was 6.1) and installed it over
and over again, also tried another copy which finally worked, except for
some minor problems. Before I was using RedHat 5.2 (if my memory is
correct) without any problems and it still rests in peace on the first
harddrive. One of my helpers was in a self reported experimental mood, so I
have no idea whether this could explain some of the problems, but maybe not.

>So go to the kernel src dir and "make clean; make bzImage; make modules;
make modules_install; "
>Then install the newly compiled kernel, run lilo, and reboot.
>This should fix it.

I tried this, and when I entered "make bzImage" I was asked a lot of
questions I was not sure how to answer, so I guessed that I need to
configure the kernel first, killed this questionnaire and did "make
oldconfig". Hope this did not mess anything up. Then I further followed
your instructions, but unfortunately I still get the same error messages as
with the old kernel.

Then I took a closer look at the config, but I am not sure with many of
these options. Which are probably relevant ones?  Or is the problem not
related to the config at all? Why does the error message of "modprobe ppa"
say that the resource or device is busy?

Was also wondering whether it is possible to revive RedHat 5.2 on the first
harddrive as an option, it is mounted at the moment under /mnt/oldlinux.
But its /boot directory looks a bit different from the currently booting
/boot directory, there seems to be no kernel for putting into the
lilo.config as an option.

Uli

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD