Re: tlug: automated login & startx, etc

> From: Selva Nair <selva@example.com>

> >    > > Since I'm the only user of my home computer I'd like to get X started as
> >    > > user boti without logging in.
> >    > > I tried to put the following line into /etc/inittab :
> >    > > 1:2345:once:/bin/su -m - boti -s /bin/bash -m /usr/X11R6/bin/startx

> >    Any more ideas?
> 1. Install windoze ;)

Oops, I just realized I subscribed to the wrong mailing list ;-)

> 2. hack xdm (modify the xdm authentification widget so that it
>    does not wait for userid/passwd input.)

Well, the idea is okay, but the time I would spend on this might take a while.
I would rather hack mingetty's source than xdm. Might be easier [or not :)]

The only thing I'm missing now is a way to get a shell [bash] started for user boti, just like mingetty does it after a
successful login.
"/bin/su -m - boti -s /bin/bash"  starts up bash with no job control, and this is what X needs.

If I'll have some more time I'm gonna hack around a little to get this workin'  [and continue coding gjiten :)]

> 3. continue with present "ugly" solution

Ugly solutions are welcome too. I just need one that works.

> From: "Scott M. Stone" <sstone@example.com>

> make your initdefault to 1 instead of 3 or 5.

> HOWEVER -- running Linux as a single user OS is kind of defeating the
> entire point of what Linux stands for.

Yepp. I was thinkin' about doing this but it would probably mess up a whole lot more things than it would help.

>  If you have a user that doesn't
> understand logging in with a username and password and/or doesn't
> understand why that's a good idea, then that user should probably use

That user is me :) Though I understand all of these what you've just said.
But I'm not going to use windoze, OS/2 or any other crapOS. I'm sure there is a solution to this. In linux everything is
possible.

> Windows or MacOS, IMHO.

B0Ti.

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD