Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Lingo] 間vs間:Thanks...
- Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 18:08:11 -1000
- From: David J Iannucci <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [Lingo] 間vs間:Thanks...
- References: <4FC53221.firstname.lastname@example.org> <4FC70040.email@example.com>
> On 05/29/2012 01:31 PM, steve wrote: I asked my friend Hiroko about > this a couple of weeks ago. She's 87 and has been in the US since > the 50's. I was surprised that she didn't know that 間 was also > pronounced ま. 8-O <- This is me being 唖然とした. Wow. Doing the arithmetic, it's clear she was already a full-grown adult, probably high school educated, when she moved to the US. I do know some people who have so completely "gone native" (in the US) that they have lost full-native-level ability in their mother tongue (without ever quite reaching it in English - a sad but fascinating situation!). One of them is (ex :-)Japanese, and although he has had fairly minimal contact with Japan over the last 40-some years, still... he certainly has not forgotten words of such fundamental importance... Dave
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [Lingo] 間 vs 間
- Next by Date: [Lingo] Profiling vs Performance Analysis
- Previous by thread: Re: [Lingo] 間 vs 間
- Next by thread: [Lingo] Profiling vs Performance Analysis
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links