Re: [Lingo] British English

On 02/06/2011 05:01 PM, Kenneth Burling wrote:
British English? What's that? THERE'S NO SUCH THING!

I think that the main issue is that most American's assume that
Britain is England, and nothing more.  When we are saying british
English, we are thinking English as it is spoken in England.

Well, there _is_ Queen's English, but I think you have to be dressed in a leather teddy, fishnet stockings, spike heels, and have a full beard to speak it like he does.

Now... For London... I have heard a Londener talk, and they don't
speak what one would consider either American nor British English. :P

You want unintelligible? Spend a week in Newcastle or Yeovil, then ... or Glasgow, come to think of it.

--
CL