Re: [Lingo] British English

On 3 February 2011 01:33, CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:

> However, I /was/ scarred for life in the third grade when a student
> teacher killed off all chance for a school record one full year of 100
> point spelling tests when he insisted that the word "plough" should have
> been spelled "plow" and counted it wrong.

Many years ago a friend who had worked for IBM in North Carolina
said his son had been put in a remedial English class at school. On
enquiring why, the anxious parents were told it was because of all the
errors in his spelling and pronunciation (plough/plow, neighbour/neighbor,
etc., not to mention the way he said tomato.)

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Clayton School of IT, Monash University