Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Lingo] Re: "Contribute positively"
- Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:05:47 +0900
- From: "Micheal Cooper" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: [Lingo] Re: "Contribute positively"
On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 12:00 PM, <email@example.com> wrote: > From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <firstname.lastname@example.org> > It also depends a lot on meue/meshita. When used by meue about > himself, or by foreign service personnel, it often means you might get > a hearing if accompanied by a sufficiently large contribution to his > retirement fund or the geopolitical equivalent, else forget it. > > But when used in the third person as in this case, I would say the > question reduces to what has already been suggested: is the topic > RMS's contribution to internal progress (eg, software development), in > which case "active (or postive) contribution" is a good literal > translation, or is it his external contribution to awareness and the > political/legal stuff, in which case "promotion" is probably more > idiomatic. Yes, I agree. I wrote without the benefit of Nguyen Vu Hung's contextual sample of the text. I was assuming something like marketing pitch, since that is what I often find myself translating. That is a really interesting point about the status of the actors in the contribution. I hadn't thought of that. Thank you. -- Micheal Cooper Miyazaki, Japan (GMT+9, no DST)
- [Lingo] Re: "Contribute positively"
- From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: [Lingo] Re: "Contribute positively"
- Next by Date: [Lingo] Re: "Contribute positively"
- Previous by thread: [Lingo] Re: "Contribute positively"
- Next by thread: [Lingo] Re: "Contribute positively"
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links