[Lingo] Re: "Contribute positively"

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 12:00 PM,  <lingo-request@example.com> wrote:
>  From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com>
>  It also depends a lot on meue/meshita.  When used by meue about
>  himself, or by foreign service personnel, it often means you might get
>  a hearing if accompanied by a sufficiently large contribution to his
>  retirement fund or the geopolitical equivalent, else forget it.
>
>  But when used in the third person as in this case, I would say the
>  question reduces to what has already been suggested: is the topic
>  RMS's contribution to internal progress (eg, software development), in
>  which case "active (or postive) contribution" is a good literal
>  translation, or is it his external contribution to awareness and the
>  political/legal stuff, in which case "promotion" is probably more
>  idiomatic.

Yes, I agree. I wrote without the benefit of Nguyen Vu Hung's
contextual sample of the text. I was assuming something like marketing
pitch, since that is what I often find myself translating.

That is a really interesting point about the status of the actors in
the contribution. I hadn't thought of that. Thank you.

--
Micheal Cooper
Miyazaki, Japan (GMT+9, no DST)