Re: tlug: Last night's RMS discussion

"Scott M. Stone" <sstone@example.com> wrote,

> On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty wrote:
>
> > involved in building a complete Unix system.  Just try to
> > build a distribution without any GNU tools, this will be an
> > eye opener, I am sure.
>
> Sun did it :)

Sure - with the effect that after getting a new Sun box,
everybody in his or her right mind replaces all the Sun
tools by their GNU counterparts.[1]

Besides, you cited me out of context, the discussion was
about open source distributions.  Sun doesn't even manage to
develop a programming language in the OSS spirit (as the
`Blackdown' fiasko shows) - how would they ever be able do
it with an OS?

Manuel

[1] I have actually been using SunOS/Solaris much longer
    than GNU/Linux.  IMHO, the only reason for its continued
    existence is that it runs on big server machines that
    the Linux kernel can't handle, yet.  So, what people
    often do, is using GNU/Solaris (before Linux became a
    serious contended most GNU development happened on Sun
    machines.)  Another indication that the GNU contribution
    to GNU/Linux is actually greater than that of Linus &
    Co.  (This is not to belittle their contribution, but to
    put GNU's in the right perspective.)
Next Technical Meeting: January 14 (Fri) 19:00
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)