tlug: PDA question

I bought a portable phone a few days ago, that is
a minimal touch-screen PDA with an embedded email
client, bundled with a PHS phone.  We're getting along
well together, but I'm wondering whether I might
be able to ditch the MS Win data exchange client
that goes with it and move data back and forth
directly in Linux.

A message sent from the phone has this as the
bottom line of the Received: stack:

It looks like a Sendmail daemon at the provider end is picking
up the text of the message from the phone in an SMTP
transaction.  If that is the case, would it be correct to infer
that the transaction takes place over TCP/IP?

If that is the case, it leads me to wonder whether the
MS Win client isn't using a PPP connection through the
serial cable, and speaking to an embedded FTP daemon
or something to do data exchange; the menus in the
client seem provide only for data transfer to and
from the PDA, with all editing functions occurring at
the PC end.  FTP would be enough for that.  There's
also a setting in the PDA for a "Code for internal
data transfers", which I suspect might be a password
used in the transfer.

Does this sound possible, or is this a job for a real
engineer?  If I figure out more, I'll drop a note, but if
anyone has any experience in this line, please let me
know.

If the PDA itself sounds interesting to anyone, drop
me a note and I'll mail the details privately.  It's a new
gadget on the block, just came out a little over a month
ago.  Cheap, too.

Cheers,
Frank B

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 20:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January 14 (Fri) 19:00
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)