tlug: re: bells and pings

Adrian asks about the order of the oiling, banging and
heating. First, let me say that I am all for the heart/brain
surgery approach. But this was no ordinary bolt. I tried all
combinations, waited for a while, then tried them again. A
few days into the process, the bolt finally turned. As
you might imagine, I was very careful not to use too much
oil and not to go overboard with the heatings.
This particular computer had two very tough bolts, the
one on the old modem (the one I have been describing) and
one of four that held the cd-rom drive in place. That one
was also stubborn and in a very awkward place; all varieties of
wrenches, screwdrivers and pliers fell by the wayside, but
several carefully placed taps (I know, I could have wrecked
the cd-rom drive, but...) did the trick. I had to remove
that drive (as well as the floppy drive and riser (sp) board
in order to replace the hard disk, which brings me to Scott
Stone's question: did I make a video. Sorry, I only record
actions I am particularly proud of :) .
However, I was luck enough to find a series of photos
taken by someone who was struggling to replace a hard
disk in the same machine. He doesn't mention stuck bolts
but he obviously had a tough enough time unscrewing things.
For the curious:
pcwave3.ee.uec.ac.jp/Hasegawa/private-data/micom/199604.html

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 20:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January 14 (Fri) 19:00
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)