Re: tlug: JIS and half-width

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Darren Cook wrote:

> (This is not really linux-related; can someone suggest a better place to ask?)
>
> In Ken Lunde's CJKV he gives the JIS escape sequence (p.157) for half-width
> katakana but says not to use it as it is not widely supported.

RFC 1468 (aka ISO-2022-JP mail) specifically omits the sequence. It isn't
even included in RFC 1554 (ISO-2022-JP-2), which includes more escape
sequences than you can shake a stick at (and hence, is only supported
one one mailer) and RFC 2237 (ISO-2022-JP-1)

> Does anyone know which popular email software (all platforms) doesn't
> support it? Or which does if that is a shorter list :-).

Reading or writing? The best mailers will read it, but they should never
write it (and claim that the contents are ISO-2022-JP).

Netscape's mailer used to be able to read it and convert half-width to
full-width on send, but it's been a long time since I've tried that. PINE
will read it, providing the charset is set to ISO-2022-JP and it's running
on top of kterm. :) (not recommended)

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 20:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January 14 (Fri) 19:00
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)