Re: tlug: CD burner

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Christopher Sekiya wrote:

> Dennis said:
>
> > Yeah, you do have to compile in IDE-SCSI emulation to get things working.
> > So what?  It works like a charm once that's done.
>
> IDE (ATAPI, actually) is _bad_, particularly in this application.
> CDR depends on a steady stream of data from host box to CDR.  Interrupt that
> stream, you've just blown a CDR blank.  Feed bad data to that stream, you've
> got a bad CD.
>
> ATAPI is high-performance (in its latest incarnations), but the error-recovery
> sucks and unless you're running that CDR all by its lonesome on that controller
> you'll have bus contention issues as well.
>
> ATAPI -- just say no.

I believe also that since an IDE controller can only access one device at
a time, if you have your IDE burner on the same controller as your hard
drive... well, just imagine...

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone@example.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 20:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January 14 (Fri) 19:00
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)