Re: tlug: Sendmail Signatures

    jb> Daniel Kenny (kennyd@example.com) wrote:

    >> I just have a simple question regarding sendmail - is it
    >> possible to set up signature files in the user's home directory
    >> (similar to a .forward file type configuration) to append a
    >> standard signature to email?

    jb> .signature is the standard file name (my signature below comes
    jb> from there).  I don't know if there's a way to make sendmail
    jb> look for them and append them or not

No.  Sendmail cannot possibly do this correctly in a MIME world.  It's
not an overhead issue, it's a question of corrupting the mail.

This is a mail client's job, as Jonathan said.  Even Berkeley mail can
do this (albeit not automagically without special treatment in
.mailrc).  All of the popular MUAs for Linux (even Emacs/RMail ;-) can
do this.  I assume essentially all Windoze and Mac clients, too.

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January, 2000
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)