Re: tlug: no floppy installation

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Viktor Pavlenko wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to install Mandrake 6.0 on my desktop last night. The BIOS
> stopped recognizing floppy drive some time ago, but I thought it
> wouldn't be a problem. Seemingly I was wrong. Actually the
> installation goes smoothly, but when I'm booting the system for the
> first time the machine freezes (the last thing it shows on the screen
> is 'Making /mnt/disk [OK]'. When I disconnect the floppy drive from
> the motherboard, I get lots of weird error messages and end up with
> kernel panic.
>
> I know it sounds funny, and I know I have to get a new motherboard,
> but the question is: is it true that one can't install Linux on a
> machine without a working floppy drive?

not true, I've installed it on lots of laptops with no floppy drive (boot
from CDROM or from DOS with LOADLIN then use NFS)

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Systems (UNIX) and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January, 2000
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)