Re: tlug: Japanese emails and jlatex under RedHat 6.1

Naoki Saito <saito@example.com> writes:

> I am using Red Hat 6.1 (US version).
> I would like to write emails in Japanese, preferrably with emacs.
> Also, I would like to use jlatex.
>
> I do not want to switch the whole operating system to Japanese linux.
> I just would like to use Japanese emails and jlatex as tools under
> my current linux.
>
> What packages should I install?
> Where should I retrieve those packages?

As for LateX you probably need to uninstall the teTeX comes with RH60 :-(
(unless you roll it yourself) and install instead pTeX and pLaTeX
(produced by ASCII Corp).  Of course it's generally better to build
oneself, but I was lazy and I got rpms from a JRPM mirror.  I don't
know if there is a mirror of the JRPM project in California...

I used the mirror at KDD Labs:
        <ftp://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp:/Linux/jrpm/JRPM60/ALL/>
and got the following packages for Japanese LaTeX support.

LaTeX2e-amslatex-1.0-2JRPM60.noarch.rpm
LaTeX2e-babel-1.0-2JRPM60.noarch.rpm
LaTeX2e-graphics-1.0-2JRPM60.noarch.rpm
LaTeX2e-tools-1.0-2JRPM60.noarch.rpm
VFlib2-2.24.2-4JRPM60.i386.rpm
VFlib2-VFjfm-2.24.2-4JRPM60.i386.rpm
dvipsk-5.78ajp-8JRPM60.i386.rpm
dvipsk-5.78ajp-9JRPM60.i386.rpm
ghostscript-5.10jp-5JRPM60.i386.rpm
ghostscript-fonts-5.10jp-1JRPM60.noarch.rpm
jvf-standard-1.0-2jrpm.noarch.rpm
jvf-standard-1.0-3JRPM60.noarch.rpm
kpathsea-3.2-10JRPM60.i386.rpm
makejvf-1.0-3JRPM60.noarch.rpm
pLaTeX2e-19990809-2JRPM60.noarch.rpm
pLaTeX2e-MFsrc-19990405-2jrpm.noarch.rpm
pLaTeX2e-tfms-19990405-2jrpm.noarch.rpm
pTeX-2.1.8-10JRPM60.i386.rpm
pTeX-MetaFont-2.1.8-10JRPM60.i386.rpm
pTeX-MetaPost-2.1.8-10JRPM60.i386.rpm
pTeX-docs-2.1.8-3.1glibc.i386.rpm
pTeX-jtfms-2.1.8-10JRPM60.i386.rpm
pTeX-tfms-2.1.8-10JRPM60.i386.rpm
xdvik-20cjp-7JRPM60.i386.rpm

It works pretty well.  Though if you are planning to do a lot of
Japanese LaTeX I should warn that I had trouble getting xdvi to
display Japanese, though ghostview is ok.

Help that helps,

Jens
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:30   place: Temple Univ.
* Linux Internationalisation Initiative (Li18nux) speaker: Akio Kido
* Japanese TrueType Fonts                     speaker: Adrian Havill
Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai:  December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691