Re: tlug: forwarded message from MAILER-DAEMON@example.com

>>>>> "John" == John Seebach <jseebach@example.com> writes:

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 12:04:40PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

    >> 3.  C:\LOADLIN> LOADLIN linux /dev/ram rw initrd=root.bin
                                     ^
root= -------------------------------+

Even the masters :-P commit typos.  The ram0 vs. ram issue depends on
your /dev setup (evidently the guy who wrote the LOADLIN docs had
linked /dev/ram -> /dev/ram0).

    John> I actually started the debian installation program, then
    John> realized that I needed some extra disk space.

Oops.  I should have warned you about that.

_Was_ a time when you could easily install a fairly full Debian system
_with_ an X server and a few important apps (xterm, ghostscript,
emacs!) into 100MB.  Not any more :-(  They claim you can get the basic
system with nothing except netbase in it into 50MB, but I'm not even
sure about that, what with glibc easily accounting for 5 MB, not
counting locales, pushing it to at least 10 MB, and over 5 MB of
Debian data in /var/lib/dpkg and elsewhere.  A recent 2.2 kernel
package adds nearly 9 MB.  We're halfway to 50MB and we don't even
have a shell installed yet!

    John> i think I need to make sure not to log in as root anywhere
    John> for at least a month or so.

:-)

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** Linux 8th Birthday Anniversary! ***
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.
*** Topics: 1) Linux i18n   2) Japanese TrueType fonts