tlug: wretched fetch / Linux + Mac mess

> > reading message 2 of 2 (1531 octets) fetchmail: SMTP error: 553 <$"$f$_ SIZE=1531... Unbalanced '"'
> > . flushed
>
> This code snippet is from fetchmail-4.7.9, around sink.c:452
>
>     case 553: /* invalid sending domain */
> 	/*
> 	 * These latter days 553 usually means a spammer is trying to
> 	 * cover his tracks.
> 	 */
> 	send_bouncemail(ctl, msg, XMIT_ACCEPT,
> 			"Invalid address.\r\n",
> 	return(PS_REFUSED);
>
> I'd say, from the looks of it, someone is sending you a badly
> formatted message.  Perhaps you can specify to keep your messages in
> your ISP's mail folder (see fetchmail(1)) and the next time you get
> this message, look for the offending mail.

"fetchmail -k" would do be the option needed, it seems.
I'm not sure how this would solve the problem, however.
Wouldn't the same thing happen when fetchmail downloaded
this mail a second time?

I have seen a fair number of screwy addresses over the
years. Most of the time it's from people who didn't know
how to set up their mailreaders properly, but got
close enough for their mail to actually go out onto
the Internet. Not a small number of these people are
company CEOs and university professors. Though they should
be setting up their systems properly, I would like to
make my system flexible enough to receive their improperly
formatted messages. This way, I can at least read what
they are trying to say. The ISP can bounce that stuff
back to them, perhaps. But if it gets through the ISP to me,
I had better find a way of reading it, if I can.

No one else has had to deal with this situation?

---------------------------------------

I found an ethernet pcmcia card for my PC (Linux),
an ethernet hub, cable and a "tranceiver" for the Mac,
all for a bit less than 10,000. Much to my surprise,
I was able to get the two computers pinging each
other pretty quickly. The Linux is running netatalk
and the Mac can read/write into a directory on the
Linux side.

I am now trying to get IP masquerading and/or
dhcp going so that the Mac user can browse
the Internet via the Linux which is connecting
via ppp.

I think I am getting close, but still no cigar.
the Mac's Netscape says it can't find the DNS server
when it tries to read a page that is on the Internet.
(I think it's showing a lack of motivation).

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** Linux 8th Birthday Anniversary! ***
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.
*** Topics: 1) Linux i18n   2) Japanese TrueType fonts