tlug: pop-3/tcp server failing HELP

Greetings All,
In line with the recent listings about mail problems, I have been having some problems with my mail server at ... home ... where the pop-3/tcp server keeps failing.  The exact message in the messages log is:

12:27 inetd[319]: pop-3/tcp server failing (looping), service terminated

Running '/etc/rc.d/init.d/inetd restart' solves the problem but only after a user (like myself for example) notices that the mail server is down.

If anyone has any ideas on how to resolve this problem it would be greatly appreciated as it appears to be random and I have not been able to get anywhere by rooting around in the log files.

Thanks,

Daniel Kenny

application/ms-tnef