Re: tlug: Encoding troubles

Klaus Kudielka wrote:
> Of course, users want to read/write both HFS and VFAT disks (and ext2,
> but that's only me). Of course, they want Japanese filenames.
>
> So far I have Samba running and found out that:
>   * Japanese Windows obviously uses SJIS when talking to SMB servers,
>     but Unicode when writing on VFAT partitions.

Actually, Windows clients talk to SMB servers in Unicode. Samba clients
should translate from the local character set to Unicode and back. This
translation may not be getting done if you don't explicitly set it.

Are you setting the charset/encoding on the Samba stuff?
--
Adrian HAVILL
PGP Key Fingerprint: D5B6 321C 0F82 117D EAC2 6D08 D942 FA38 7427 8195