Re: tlug: the pros and cons of under-reconfiguring your kernel

"Manuel M. T. Chakravarty" <chak@example.com> writes:

> Jonathan Byrne <jq@example.com> wrote,
>
> > [...]ease of use without restricting those with the ability to do
> > so from manually editing the configuration if they feel like it.
>
> I definitely agree with you that it is superimportant that
> it is possible to get around all GUI sugar coating and edit
> the config files manually.  When you are knowing what you
> are doing, this is always the fastest way of doing things
> (and over a slow modem connection often the only way).

Yes.  That's one of the reasons I stopped using Enlightenment (the
default wm with Redhat60 (under Gnome)).  I really liked Enlightenment
visually, but (some E fanantics will probably correct me wrong) I
found it hard to edit the E config files (actually session files) by
hand since they seem to be really machine orientated: full of number
codes, etc.  Yuck.  [I'm now back to using SCWM (fully configurable by
Guile) under Gnome: it's a pity that scwm development seems to have
ground to a halt as far as I know.]

> Another aspect of Gnome's design that I like very much
> (although it is only partially usable so far) is that they
> have an eye on allowing to use scripting languages (Guile,
> Perl, Python, etc) to manipulate the Gnome components by a
> script (via Corba).  This way, you can combine Gnome
> components in scripts similar to how you combine standard
> Unix command in scripts via pipes and stuff.

Yes.  The architectural design of Gnome seems to be better than KDE.
So far the scripting language support doesn't seem to be getting that
much emphasis.

Jens
Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.