Re: tlug: the pros and cons of under-reconfiguring your kernel

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Tony Laszlo wrote:

> My recent trouble is less life-threatening.
> Trouble of the week: after quitting Gnome and clicking
> "save current setup", then going back into X with startx,
> all the xterms wind up in the first desktop. haven't
> seen any record or fix for this in the newsgroups.
> Sound familiar to someone?

Sure sounds familiar to me.  What I'm uncertain of is whether this is a
bug or whether this is "normal."  Haven't really dug into the docs yet,
and that says something good about Gnome.  My ease-of-use acid test for
GUI software is simply that if a person of reasonable computer
experience/literacy/competence needs to spend much time reading the docs
in order to make it work, there's a problem.  Gnome passes that test
quite well.  I haven't spent much time with KDE, but I think it would as
well.  In fact, I will state as a reformed former user of Some Other
Operating System, that while still a bit rough around the edges, Gnome
is not as good as That Other Operating System's GUI - it's better.
True, "save current config" should open all your windows right where you
left them, size and all, but that's a detail.  OK, so it's a much bigger
detail to notebook computer users  :-)

> On another note, if anyone needs advice on how to switch
> back and forth between two sendmail.cf files (one which
> will allow the user to send mail from pine without getting
> a 451 "sender domain must resolve" error and one which
> will send all the outgoing mail to the host), let me
> know; I'll be glad to share my current recipe. Of course,

Sure, I'd like to see them.  How about putting those, your .muttrc, and
anything else you think might be interesting someplace where we can FTP
them?

Jonathan

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.