Re: tlug: re: ppp but not quite

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Tony Laszlo wrote:

>Before I changed /etc/resolve.conf it looked like
>this:
>
>domain buenahonda.org
>search buenahonda.org
>nameserver 203.216.4.4
>nameserver 203.216.4.5

>I changed it to look like this:
>
>domain buenahonda.org
>domain gol.com
>search buenahonda.org
>nameserver 203.216.12.3
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^

As I posted before, 203.216.12.3 is NOT a name server.  Don't put it in
resolv.conf.  It won't break resolving, but it will make it take longer.

Use any two of the ones I posted previously (you don't really want 3 or
4 name servers in resolv.conf, for performance reasons).  Those are the
GOL name servers.

There are some lines of your that I don't grok, but the whole thing
looks a lot like mine (mine connection always works).  I'm mulling over
a couple of ideas, though.  Consider:

* Not everyone has experienced a problem with connecting, but all those
  who have are running a 2.2.x kernel

* Ping and traceroute seem to work, but other things don't.

Looking at those things what do you (= anyone who groks these things)
think of the following possibilities:

1) Something is breaking in the kernel and/or pppd or the relationship
between them such that TCP packets are not being routed in the machine;

- or -

2) The packets are going out of the machine, but something is broken in
such a way that it leaks spurious route information, thus causing the
routers to (rightly) drop the packets on the floor.

Thoughts?

Jonathan

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.