Re: tlug: Cookies and Netscape

    Fredric> A http server can set and clear cookies by sending a
    Fredric> set-cookie response header as part of the response to a
    Fredric> http request from a browser.

True.

    Fredric> It can not explicitly request cookies or examine the
    Fredric> cookies held by the browser but the browser will always
    Fredric> send back the cookies that originated from the server as
    Fredric> part of each http request header.

True, except that an RFC-2109 compliant browser offers the user
control over whether to accept cookies, and optionally fairly fine
control over when to return them.  Replace "always" by "semi-
automatically" and you're OK.

    Fredric> That is, a http server will only have access to the
    Fredric> cookies generated by the same server.

False.  First of all, "closely related" servers, such as
"www1.isp.com", "www2.isp.com", and "random-dot-com.isp.com" can
share cookies by design.  All that is required is for the originating
server to use the domain=.isp.com form in the set cookie request.

Second, the DNS is not utterly reliable.

Third, a malicious CGI can embed your cookies in an URI to another
site, thus propagating them.

    Fredric> Given this I feel that cookies have actually been the
    Fredric> target for a massive FUD campaign. I can not really see
    Fredric> what harm they can cause.

User information (such as client host and any registration information
that may be provided) can be correlated with click trails.  This can
be assembled in a file and sold, eg.  Then a new cookie is generated,
generating more information.  I can imagine related retail sites doing
this, for example, on a quid pro quo basis.

I can think of a lot of situations where I would find having those
trails correlated in one place embarrassing, and analogous situations
where they might be harmful.

Next Technical Meeting: August 14 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Special guest: Marc Christensen (Salt Lake Linux Users Group)
Next Nomikai: September 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691