Re: tlug: Redhat 6.0 and Japanese support

----- Original Message -----
From: Hirotaka Yoshioka <hyoshiok@example.com>
To: <tlug@example.com>
Sent: August 5, 1999 7:59 PM
Subject: Re: tlug: Redhat 6.0 and Japanese support

> Hi,
>
> Alberto Tomita wrote:
> >
> > At 23:30 99/8/4 -0700, you wrote:
> > >     I'm really keen to get Japanese support set-up on the redhat 6
system.
> > > However, I'm quite green when it comes to Linux in general.
> > There is a RedHat 6.0-J Beta available for download somewhere.
> > I was able to "Japanize" my RH 6.0-English thanks to Laser 5's
> > Kubota-san, who had sent us the alpha versions of the Japanese
> > packages.
> >
> > First of all, you need double-byte support on top of glibc.
>
> It depends what you need.
>
> I'm using original RH6.0 and xemacs 20.3 without "wcsmbs".
> You can input Kanji using SKK. I don't have any trouble to
> display and input Japanese on RH6.0 with xemacs :-)
>
> Regards,
>    Hiro

    I guess I should explain a bit more of what I'd like to do.  What I'd
like is an English system (my Japanese is not good enough to read Japanese
system messages) that can handle Japanese in a few ways.  I'd like to be
able to send and receive Japanese e-mail/newsgroups.  Right now I'm using MS
Outlook express (in windows), and it doesn't display the subject lines.  Way
to go MS.  I'd prefer a GUI mail reader.  Would Netscape's mail program work
in Japanese, with headers and message bodies being displayed?

    Also, I'd like to be able to enter text into and editor in Japanese.  A
GUI editor would be great, but a text based emacs program would work.  This
would for writing things in Japanese, letters or homework type stuff.

    Hmm, after righting this out it doesn't seem like a want to do much.

James

Next Technical Meeting: August 14 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Special guest: Marc Christensen (Salt Lake Linux Users Group)
Next Nomikai: September 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691