Re: tlug: programming

Howdy,

"Manuel M. T. Chakravarty" wrote:
> Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote,
> > >Doesn't make an difference, I would say.  Linux generally is
> > >perfect for software development, as you have tons of
> > >tools.  (Not very surprising, I guess, as it was written by
> > >software people to suit themselves.)
> >
> > Has anyone tried out any of the the recent IDE's that have come out? I'm
> > particularly interested in comparisons with Visual C++; especially the
> > debugger.

I'm a Unix+xemacs programmer so it is biased.

> > Some notable features of the VC debugger are: moving the mouse over a
> > variable brings a popup with it's value;
>
> Don't know whether any of the GUI fronts to gdb can do
> something like that (see above).

Use xemacs + gdbsrc mode or gud mode which is written by your ESR :-)

My experience on VC++ debugger is very limited so
it might be wrong.

> Gdb is a supercool piece of software and I doubt that there
> are many debuggers out there that can match it.  Is the VC
> debugger able to attach to a running process and start
> debugging it?  (If you think, this is a useless feature, you

Of cause, yes it is.

VC++ has a good cross reference tool which is a weak point
of emacs. You may think emacs has etags but it is slow and does not
understand a class hierarchy nor call graph etc.

VC++ has a nice profiling tool, a postmortem debugging tool,
and so on. The big advantage of VC++ is that it is integrated
in the Windows environment.

Regards,
  Hiro
--