Re: tlug: Problem with Sony PCG-N505

Jonathan Q <jq@example.com> wrote,

> On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty wrote:
>
> >"Scott M. Stone" <ss8913@example.com> wrote,
> >
> >> FWIW, TurboLinux, at least the versions I worked on, will boot
> >> *entirely* from the CDROM, pcmcia and all (no floppies needed).
> >
> >Yes, but there hasn't been a new version for a while and in
> >particular none with a 2.2 kernel.
>
> TurboLinux 4.0 uses the 2.2.9 kernel and has been in stores for
> roughly two weeks.

That's interesting, but went by me unnoticed.  But
meanwhile, I have this machine up and running (and
discovered that it has a $%&#' WinModem :-(  Anyway,
otherwise, its a great piece of hardware (would be a real
waste to run Windoze on it ;-) [1]

> Highlights include Atok12SE for Linux (it is *good*)
> and Wnn6 in the standard edition,

Hmm, which probably means that you have to buy a copy for
each machine on which you want to use it.  I don't mind the
money, but apart from the fact that I believe in the
superiority of open source, it is often very convenient when
you can just make a copy of the whole thing (and don't have
to run in a computer store).

> and Japanese Gnome and KDE desktops
> (I'm using Gnome; haven't tried the KDE one).

I played a bit around with Gnome and its quite cute.
However, in its full glory, it is too easy to use for my
taste[1] - I especially can't stand dragging stuff with the
mouse around only to get some files copied.  So, I guess,
I'll stay with WindowMaker, but I'll definitely integrate
some of the Gnome stuff in my environment.

Thanks for the information,

Manuel

[1] However, I have not yet decided whether the keyboard is
    better or worse than that of the older 505s.  It is
    definitely different and I liked the other one very much
    - maybe I just have to get used to it.
[2] This is not to say that I am unhappy about an easy to
    use desktop for Linux - it would be great if my mother
    could write her letters on a Linux box - but I need a
    somewhat faster and more direct (= command line-based)
    access to my machine.  Luckily, with Linux both is
    possible.
Next Technical Meeting: August 14 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Special guest: Marc Christensen (Salt Lake Linux Users Group)
Next Nomikai: September 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691